Thursday, July 19, 2007

A Much Needed Vacation

On my way home from work last night I had to make a quick stop at Target to purchase a birthday gift for my husband. (it's his Birthday Month). Our south side Target is usually void of any riff-raff and a quick in and out. Last night must have been white trash night. First I see this woman who seemed to be in her 40's struggling to make her way to the check-out with two lawn chairs. The around 15 year old boy walking with her was trying to juggle some balls. I wondered why he would have such little respect for his mother. But then again he could have been an oaf and she feared he'd bump into everything therefore costing her more money.
In the card department I witnessed a woman with several children. She was looking at card, her kids were whipping out cards and throwing them on the floor. It was obvious that she was not paying attention to them. These kids were probably between the age of 6 and 10.
A few aisles down I came upon a family with two kids in the cart. The parents were looking at radios, the kids were just about falling out of the cart. Once again, not paying attention. As I walked past the little girl just about took a dive. I put my arm out and said "Careful there, you could fall". The mother glanced over at me and said nothing. Whatever lady...I suppose the kid would have received a smack if she fell.
Then I came upon something that made my heart melt. A little girl around 5 or 6 with her grandparents. Grandpa wandered off and the little girl was very shaken. She kept telling the Grandma that she thought maybe Grandpa was lost and they should go look for him. Grandma kept assuring her that Gramps wasn't lost. He'd find them. She then said "Grandma, he can't always be the hero. Sometimes we have to help him". She then told Grandma that her mother would be very upset if they lost her dad. This is what makes us forget the bad things we see.
I saw them at the check-out and she very proudly told me that they found Gramps.

I have started a much needed mini-vacation. Well, it doesn't seem like it right now as I'm waiting for the last load of laundry to dry and I've managed to pack. But just knowing that I don't have to drive to work in the morning makes it all seem worth it.

No comments: