Thursday, February 28, 2008

Taken Down

After 5 weeks of winning 1st place in Team Trivia, we were taken down to 3rd place last night. It was a good ride and I'm sure we'll be able to jump right back on. We just need to watch more movies as that's what usually stumps us. It's a nice mid-week break to what seems to be like the longest work weeks ever.

I've come to the conclusion that my job bores me and that's why I dislike it so much. We have 3 lines and I've worked on all three with various combinations of co-workers. There is not one line that I actually will say I like to work on. Every so often I'm given a different task which will keep me from being bored for a day or so. The problem is that every line does just about the same thing but with a different packaging option. So you're either packing a roll or into a box or into a huge roll. It's all basically the same fricken thing day in and day out. We've all become comfortable with each other and know the work habits. We know when to stay out of the way of someone who's having a bad day, or how to get them out of it. Right now we're slow so they will begin moving people around to cross-train. This could be the highlight of the month. A few different faces.

I have to say that right about now I am in the same mode that I was 7 years ago when I quit my last job. Pure and utter hatred of the job and boredom. I have more to loose at this job and that's what irks me. In 3 more years I can leave there with my health insurance benefits available at employee cost. We have excellent benefits, the pay is good (although who doesn't want to make more)and we're treated decent. Because we're slow, there are rumors floating around. In the 7 years I've been there I've made it through 2 major reductions in the work force. It was so slow that they didn't hire anyone for 3 years. I've never been laid off which to me is a plus. There are times we went in and did cleaning for a week at a time and wished we could have sat home and collected UE benefits for the week but our company prides itself in not laying off.

This week is annual review week. Mine is scheduled for tomorrow. I'm not real sure if I can sit through another "great job" review. I used to be in a position where I wrote reviews so I know the scoop. I don't know if it's worse being on the giving or receiving end of a review. I've given bad ones, but never received a bad one. It's one of those things that I just read and discuss for a minute and walk out feeling like somethings missing. I need a challange that's far above what they give me for the up coming year. One that's actually obtainable and not just written for the simple fact that they need to write something. Plus I hate the fact that we're given the reviews now and have no clue of the money we're getting until May 1st. It's usually a little over the amount that our health insurance premiums raise each year.

So, it may be time to start looking into something that I can start to do now that will pay off for me in 3 years. Some kind of class or part-time job that will help me to get out of there May 14, 2011.

1 comment:

StB said...

Well,you know I am always there for ideas for employment.