Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Rudeness

I'm going to look back at my postings and find how many times I've written about rudeness. I am sure that no matter how many times I write about it, not much will change. I like friendly people. You can be having the crummiest day and run into one person who will smile or do something nice and they can change your outlook on the day. There's the person you walk past in a hallway at work and give you the "Hey, how's it going". Not much, but they took the time to acknowledge you. The person who will hold the door open for you rather than let it slam, the person who will take your grocery cart back because they are going that way and the fellow driver who will let you out of a business lot.

I don't think it takes much to be that kind of person. I've never know an act of kindness to take away from your time. How much time does it take to smile? Where are you going in such a hurry that you can't let that one person out of a business lot? And how hard is it to take a cart back for someone when you are heading that way?

What prompts this is a trip to the grocery store yesterday. I thought I was safe as it was a Tuesday. Wednesday are usually rude days. I got behind some High & Mighty lady that felt she was to good to bag her own groceries. You must then get on a full service line. Hats off to the cashier for not losing it as Ms. H&M was giving orders on how she wanted they bagged.

I try to be friendly toward others. I'll take a cart back, I'll hold a door and I will let other drivers out. Your act of kindness is acknowledged by the friendly nod, wave or smile. Better than a glare, snide remark or the infamous salute.

No comments: