Thursday, April 15, 2010

Long Day

My daughter had her 3rd and hopefully final back surgery yesterday. This has been a long, dragged out ordeal that we're praying will come to an end and she can be on her way to a less painful life. The doctor seemed very positive, but then again they usually are. I remember 3 years ago speaking to him before and after the surgery and yesterday it was pretty much the same conversation.
We arrived at the hospital at 7am and they whisked her off. We were directed to the waiting room. I realized then that we were at the smaller hospital without all the fringe benefits. The last two surgeries were at a larger hospital which has some perks. But you pay for perks. There was a coffee pot but no coffee brewing. No problem for me but some of those older ladies were complaining. We made a pot of coffee. One of the perks of being at the hospital is that is was a walk across the street to the best doughnuts in the city. Of course we waited until after we said our goodbyes as they took her to surgery, and then took a walk. Picked up a paper and magazine on the way back and settled down for the wait.
After about an hour Barney started to nod off. I was wondering how he could even be remotely comfortable enough to sleep as the chairs were not at all designed for comfort. I felt like I was sitting on a rock. Out of boredom I began to study the people around me. It seemed that a lot of people knew each other. Must have been neighborhood surgery day at the local hospital. One lady was volunteering her kids to cut the lady whose husband was in having surgery's grass. Another guy was discussing recent garage break-ins in with another woman in his neighborhood. I felt a little left out but found entertainment in listening.
I also discovered that I was not the only one in discomfort. One lady began to doze off and nearly slid off her chair. The TV was placed in a pretty awkward place and there were maybe 8 local channels. Its funny how a Soap Opera can be on and although most of the people most likely ever watch the soap..all eyes were tuned in (including my husbands).
They were kind enough to give us updates every hour or so but it was 5 1/2 hours until the doctor came to talk to us. It was another 2 hours after that when we got the call that she was going up to a room. I did get to see her and although relieved I had to chuckle. Her lips were very swollen and upon inquiring the nurse told me that because the airway tubes were in so long that once removed it is sometimes a reaction for a patient to bite their lips. Well she did a good job on her lips. She has a little Jolie action going on. As requested prior to the surgery I was there with the Chap Stick and once it was applied she was happy. In fact I was there with the Chap Stick for a few hours.
As of 9 last night she was pretty much in and out of sleep. They have an epidural going right into her back for pain. This is supposed to be a 4-5 day stay and then home with a back brace for 6-8 weeks. No lifting, no driving, no bending..pretty much all she can do is walk, lay down or sit. I think we have our work cut out for us.

No comments: