Thursday, May 20, 2010

Her Momma Is a Hooker

Ah the knowledge and innocence of 12 year olds. Since my daughter has returned home we see the girls more often and have become involved in their every day lives. The highlight of dinner usually starts out with the daily gossip but I try to turn it into what they may have learned in school that day. In the past eight months I've come to know some of their friends and listen to the frustrations that 12 year old girls have. I now know the boys they have secret crushes on and although I continuously tell them they are much to young to think of boyfriends yet, I still listen to "just how cute he is" and "he ate lunch at my table" or "he asked so and so about me". Come on, we all have to remember back to that stage of life.

Yesterday I picked the girls up after school and in route I spotted this girl about their age walking down the street. I had to do a double take. This girl was a little chubby and had on some short shorts with a belly top. May have needed a size or two bigger because she was hanging out all over. The jean shorts were barely covering her butt and the bright yellow shirt exposed quite a tummy roll. What made me really look was the bright orange spike heeled shoes. Both the girls expressed shock at what she was wearing and then both looked back and said "Hey, she didn't have that on at school". They said she was dressed normal at school and had flat shoes on. They commented that she must have changed her clothes after school. Then one of them says " You know they say her momma is a hooker". Grandma double take. Should they know what a hooker is at this age? Well they don't because the "Grandma, what is a hooker? question came next. I did my best to explain and added that they would never hold that profession. I also commented that if I was ever driving by and saw them dressed in that way that they would be in the car so fast they wouldn't know what hit them. I was told I'd never have to worry about that. Let's just hope so.

29 hours from now I should be in the car in route to the campground. I'm really looking forward to a relaxing weekend. The weather is still looking promising. If not, I don't really think it will be a problem. I'm just looking forward to a good weekend.

No comments: