Friday, January 16, 2009

Paper or Plastic???

Well the downhill economy has now hit home. At the very end of a meeting held at work yesterday, which was supposed to be our monthly production meeting, we were give the news. As of Jan. 26th we are cut to a 32 hour work week. This affects only the hourly production workers and shockingly maintenance.

The first part of the meeting was all about cutting costs and improving production. Then we had a little safety spoof on the safe use of electricity. I felt a little sorry for my boss as he stood up there and read the bad news from his notes. It hit me half way through that he's never really had to bring this kind of news to us. It had always been Randy who had to stand up there and do the dirty deeds. It sucked to because had it of been Randy I would have had a little hint.


When I called home after work and my opening line was "Do you want fries with that"?, it took Barney a second. At first he thought I was stopping at Kopps on my way home. He didn't seem to concerned about the loss of income, but I think he's all about helping me find a part time job. We were also given the option to work 5-1 or 7-3. As I am sick of getting up at 3am I chose the later hours. This way I'll have plenty of time to get home, change and get on over to Walmart.

This reduction in hours is predicted to last until at least April. My guess is there will be occasional weeks that we'll work 40 hours. In the mean time I'll stock up on Ramen noodles and start looking for something to fill the gap. I already have a lead for something. I don't see any tragic losses coming from this if it only lasts a few months.

On a lighter note...Crap! It's damn cold outside. Ol" Barney also has off work today and here I am at 7:30 a.m. wide awake and he's snoring away. I was the one who said last night I wanted to sleep in and he was going to get up early and get some things done. I'm not used to someone infringing on my lonely day off. I surely hope there's no breakfast expected.

No comments: